3.03.2009

Sometimes it's great to be a Southerner

I have been working a lot lately so I haven't had much blogging time (much less cooking and knitting time.) I finished up a few top secret projects this weekend that I will be allowed to write about in a few weeks and I finished the knitting on my February sweater (but it still needs to be blocked.) Since I don't have anything shiny and new to show off I will make this a cooking post about our yummy dinner last night.

I love tempeh and even though the tempeh monster often attacks new packages of tempeh before I can cook with them I still buy it with the hope that maybe I can prepare it before he attacks. I bought two packages on the last grocery trip and hid one in the depths of the fridge and miraculously it survived the attack. Last night I was in the mood for some Southern comfort food so I made the hot sauce glazed tempeh from Veganomicon and served it with mashed potatoes and mixed greens (collard, mustard and turnip greens.) The potatoes were made with a bit of Bryanna's homemade chicken-style broth powder to give them a little more flavor. I made a double batch of the broth powder around Thanksgiving as an alternative to the expensive faux chicken broth we were buying at the co-op and since then we have been throwing it in all kinds of stuff. As a general rule I like to keep things simple when it comes to greens so they were simply steamed and served with a bit of red wine vinegar, tamari, and nutritional yeast. The entire meal took about 25 minutes to prepare (not counting the marinating time) so it was a quick and easy meal, perfect for a busy evening.

No comments: