12.09.2008

A Christmas meme

I saw this meme on Jess's blog and I couldn't resist. I used to really hate Christmastime, but as I get older and more settled I love the season more and more. I am even starting to like the cold weather a little.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
The wrapping is the one thing I really don't like about the holiday season. I have a stash of wrapping paper that I have been using up slowly, but other than that I have been trying to find new and interesting ways to package gifts. This year Philip and I are collaborating on a special wrapping for our families. It is top secret so I will reveal after the holidays.

2. Real tree or Artificial?
We have a small fake tree which is perfect for us. My dad would always get live trees with their roots in tact and replant after the holidays, but I can't commit to something like that and the idea of throwing away a live tree after the holidays makes me a little sad.

3. Why are you willing to answer these questions?
It's more fun than doing laundry.

4. When do you take the tree down?
As early in January as possible.

5. Do you like eggnog?
I don't drink the real stuff, but I love Silknog. Unfortunately, our Krogers keeps selling out of it before we can get any. This has been a hot cider year.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
It was my first Barbie. I remember all of my friends had Barbies way before me and when there was finally one for me under the tree I was ecstatic.

7. Hardest person to buy for?
That would be my Grandpa.

8. Easiest person to buy for?
Probably Philip, I usually have several ideas before the holidays roll around.

9. Do you have a nativity scene?
No, we just started decorating last year and I think that it will be quite sometime before we are hardcore nativity people.After decorating last night we discovered a Jesus, a Mary, a Joseph, and an angel made by my grandmother so I guess we technically have a nativity scene.

10. Do you send your card by mail or e-mail?
I don't do Christmas cards at all.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
Last year I got some horribly stinky perfume that went straight to Goodwill. I always get duds from my extended family because they don't really know me. No worries, it's the thought that counts and I bet someone who went to that Goodwill really liked it.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
I really like White Christmas

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
I am not sure that I have a time when I start. I don't do a lot of holiday shopping so probably pretty late.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Lots of times. I figure regifting gets me out of shopping which is a gift in and of itself.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
My dad makes potato candy every year and it always reminds me of childhood.

16. Lights on the tree?
Of course.

17. Favorite Christmas song?
Here Comes Fatty Claus which Sarah won't let me play in the store

18.Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Stay home!! Even when we lived in Virginia we wouldn't travel until after the holidays.

19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer’s?
Yepper depper

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
We don't have an angel or a star, but I would prefer a star

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Both. I come from a broken family so that combined with Philip's family means that we celebrate Christmas several times.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?
Definitely the traffic. I had to go to Hamburg today to pick up some organic tea towels and it was a nightmare. I generally avoid shopping centers and chain stores from Thanksgiving until MLK's birthday.

23. Favorite ornament theme or color?
White glittery things and snowflakes.

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner?
We change it up every year.

25. What do you want for Christmas this year?
My list is here. I really don't want anything too terribly exciting, but there are some kitchen things that I need.

4 comments:

affectioknit2 said...

That's fun! What's potato candy?

sarah said...

It has curse words in it!!!

Robyn Wade said...

Potato candy is this crazy potato, peanut butter, and sugary wonder of a candy that my dad makes. A base is made with the potatoes and sugar and probably some other stuff. It is rolled out flat and covered in peanut butter and rolled up like a jellyroll and sliced into pieces.

Samara said...

potato candy sounds yummy. I am missing out on bourbon balls.

And I want to hear the song!